Friday, March 27, 2009

An AMAZING story!

Today my mom and her sister, Evelyn, came to visit. They ended up telling their moose hunting story to the boys. Here is the abbreviated version:

They flew into an isolated lake [it didn't even have a name] and were dropped off for a week. On day one, while they were making camp, my mom was chopping on a tree to make improvised tent poles. Apparently the moose heard that noise and, assuming it was another moose, came to them. They told of how they shot it; they both got it in their sights and counted aloud, "one, two, three" and then both shot. They did this twice before it dropped. Then they had to walk 45 minutes, around the lake, to get to it. When they approached the moose they developed another plan: my aunt would shoot it again to ensure the death and my mom would take a picture of her doing so. Just as they got ready, about 10 feet from the moose, it jumped up. My aunt shot it behind the ear and my mom captured an amazing picture. Next they had to gut it, cut it up [with a chainsaw lubricated with Crisco oil], and hang it, a process that took many days. When the pilot returned he was so impressed by what these two women could do he named the lake Two Sisters!

Hearing them tell the story together was a lot of fun. When they reached the end, Zane said, "I feel like I'm going to cry." When asked why, he replied, "That was an amazing story!"



No comments:

Blog Archive