Saturday, September 24, 2011

My Journey to Jogging

Four years ago my dad had heart surgery. We were fortunate that he had symptoms that warned him of a pending heart attack and that he was paying attention. Stints were put in and he was given another chance. He became a vegetarian [Well, mostly a vegetarian. I think he calls himself a 90% vegetarian.] and started jogging for the first time in his life. My dad, 90% vegetarian. My dad, a jogger. I would have never guessed! I'm very proud of him for taking his health seriously.

Six months ago I started my own journey to jogging. This was a big decision for me being that I am NOT a runner. I have never ran a mile before! [Well, maybe one time. I may have ran a mile the one day I was on the High School track team. Yep, the one day. I couldn't believe how much running they expected!] However, after my gym canceled 2/3 of my classes, I felt that it was a good time to start jogging. I was fortunate to have my friend, Margaret, join me.

One of my main goals for jogging was to run a 5k with my Dad. On Labor Day, we ran together in Run the Dam Loop at Cottage Grove Lake. He runs faster than me, but I was able to stay with him...barely.



Along my journey, Luke has also become interested in jogging. He set a goal a few months ago to jog a 5k before he turns eight. We accomplished that goal on September 17th, 2 1/2 weeks before his eighth birthday. I am very proud of him!

Note: In the picture below you can also see my sister, Joy, and niece, Lolly (6).


Margaret and I also set a goal of running a 5k together before the end of summer. Last Thursday, the last day of summer, we accomplished that goal at the Twilight River Run. I'm proud of Margaret. She has had to struggle with several health issues, but hasn't given up. Without her, I'm not sure I would still be jogging.

Not long ago I thought I would never be able to run a mile, let alone three. Now I'm thinking about how to run faster than my dad [Seriously. He's 26 years older than me! I've got pride.] and I'm considering an 8 or 10k in the summer.

1 comment:

notJoy said...

We all look so happy! A family that runs together....

Blog Archive