Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Haircuts

Not only did Cade write his name for the first time today, he also got his first haircut at a barber shop. This was Luke's first barber shop haircut too and Zane's second time for a professional cut. After school I went into this little barber shop across the street from HomeSource to see how much a kid's haircut would be. The barber said $5 and I decided to give it a try. [I only cut their hair because it is the economical thing to do. I don't really like doing it and $5 is very reasonable; however, spending $15 + tip really made me feel like a high-roller and a little guilty.] The barber, who I believe is named Don, is a very old man and when we drove up he was cleaning his dentures in the sink [Yes, very gross, but remember -- five bucks!] Don is from Sicily and has been cutting hair since he was eighteen .... SEVENTY (70) years ago. As Zane started getting his haircut I remembered that he and Luke have school pictures for the very first time in ten days. [Oh Boy. Great timing, Lori!] He had a sign posted that said his doctor has ordered him to take more breaks / time-outs and I was truly concerned that he may not be able to make it through three haircuts. After each boy I would ask Don if he was up for another haircut. He seemed okay and all three boys did great. Don changed the TV to cartoons [ones that the boys would not normally be allowed to see] and he also gave me some tips for home haircuts. He was a very nice man and I think he did pretty well.



Recently Luke decided he wants to grow his hair out so that it to be long enough for a pony tail like mine and Lolly's; however, the excitement of a barber shop hair cut evidently outweighed his desire for long hair.


Cade was a little nervous about getting his hair cut. He didn't want Don to touch him.






No comments: