Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Politically Correct?

Today the boys and I were out shopping and saw Herman, a friend from church. Before saying anything to me, Herman started talking with Zane. Within a minute or two Herman said to Zane, "You don't know who I am do you?" I told Zane that Herman was our friend from church. Zane then explained to Herman that at first he wasn't sure who he was and then Zane innocently added, "You know, you're not the only black person in the world!" I looked away from the shelf and toward Herman. I asked, "Did Zane just say what I think he had said?" We both started laughing and I turned red. My reaction embarrassed Zane. After Herman left, I explained to Zane, as simply as you can to a seven-year-old, why Herman and I were laughing and gave him a little lesson about being politically correct.

No comments:

Blog Archive