Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Allowance Update

I think allowance may be put on hiatus for a few years. I had hoped that it would give the boys a small sense of independence and teach them some money management skills; however, after a few months of giving allowance, I feel that it isn't worth the cost [and I don't mean monetarily]. Not only have they continued buying way too many treats, but it feels like I have robbed them of their innocence and they have now joined our "material world". Obviously that is considerably more important to me than any sugar high or its side effects. Their thoughts seem to be consumed with money and it hasn't diminished over time. They talk about it, play with it, trade it, think of ways to get more, ask for it, get upset if their allowance is late [I don't always have the cash/change ready. My bad!], etc. They seem to have a serious case of The Wants. [I want this. I want that.] And, obviously, as our own society showcases, The Wants are hard to cure. The following Bible verse keeps swirling around in my mind:
No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.
Matthew 6:24
I certainly do not intend to develop a love of money in my boys [the ramifications scare me] and, for now, allowance does not seem to be helping me avoid it.

On to a new experiment!
This time my idea comes from the September 2009 Family Fun magazine.

DADDY DOLLARS.
[Cory looks good on currency, don't you think? Perhaps we should all write him in for the 2012 Presidential election.]


They could earn Daddy Dollars for doing little designated chores/duties around the house and then be able to buy things from the "store" such as: making a special treat, playing 20 minutes of video games, a movie rental,
choosing the dinner menu, a bike ride, playing a game with mom or dad, a trip to the park, ice cream, one dollar, etc.

Here's hoping that our new experiment is successful!

No comments: